M. grandiflora M. liliflora nigra
Our climate is ideal for magnolias
with the even rainfall and free draining soil, but the soil is light and its volcanic
nature means it is low in phosphates. Varieties such as Vulcan which is the reddest
variety in NZ, raised locally, usually improve in other areas with soils more suited to
the nutrient requirements of magnolias. Magnolia Dark Shadow has been tried locally and
performed quite poorly colourwise.
We often enjoy the beauty of magnolias inside by picking them
when they are first opening,with at least one or two tepals unfurled. Ideally the top of
the stigmatic column should still have a glistening look about it which means it is just
opening and still female receptive. They should be put into water as soon as they have
been cut, and if in not too hot a place, will last a week or more in water, depending on
variety. The best results we have had are with M. x Heaven Scent, which unfortunately does
not live up to its name, but in our conditions reproduces the beautiful pink of M.
campbellii very well.
If black spotting on the leaves is a problem this is best
prevented by a copper spray at the appropriate strength. It is more prevalent in warm,
Magnolia Glenn Magnolias:
- acuminata var. subcordata Koban Dori zone 4 A Japanese
selection, 'Golden Plate Bird'
- Ann zone 5
- Apollo zone 7 A Felix Jury hybrid raised locally.
- Athene zone 7 " " " " " " "
" " " .
- Atlas zone 7 " " " " " " "
" " " .
- x brooklynensis Eva Maria zone 6
- " " Woodsman zone 6
- Caerhay's Surprise zone 8 An English hybrid.
- campbelli alba (Duncan and Davies form) zone 8 A form raised
locally from Indian seed.
- " " " Strybing White zone 8 From Strybing
- " " ssp. mollicomata Bernie Hollard zone 8 Local
raised form from English seed.
- " " " " : Lanarth zone 8 Famous English
- cylindrica zone 7
- delavayii zone 7
- denudata zone 6
- " " Forrest's Pink zone 6 A M. sprengeri diva
- Eleanor May----a variety too good to chop out but not good
enough to plant new
- Elizabeth zone 6
- Freeman zone 8
- Galaxy zone 6
- grandiflora Little Gem zone 8
- " " Maryland zone 8
- " " Russet zone 8
- Heaven Scent zone 7
- Iolanthe zone 7
- Iolanthe x liliflora Nigra seedling
- liliflora zone 7
- " " Nigra zone 6
- x loebneri Leonard Messel zone 5
- " " Merril zone 6
- macrophylla zone 8
- Manchu Fan zone 6
- Margaret Helen zone 7 (tentative zone) Local hybrid.
- Peppermint Stick zone 6
- Picture zone 7
- Pinkie zone 5
- Royal Crown this var.was removed in favor of another seedling
which is subtlly better, but R.C. is worth adding to a collection.
- Ruby zone 6
- Serene zone 7 Felix Jury hybrid.
- sieboldii zone6
- soulangeana (nz trade clone, not named as yet but good enough
to be named)
- " " Amabilis zone 6
- " " Lennei zone 6
- " " Lennei Alba zone 6
- " " Rustica Rubra zone 6
- " " San Jose zone 6
- " " Sweet Simplicity zone
6 Locally selected hybrid.
- " " Verbanica zone 6
- Spectrum -----not performing well zone 6
- Starwars zone8 NZ raised liliflora x campbelli.
- stellata rosea F.ine V.ariety ---ex Otto Eisenhutt zone 5
- " " Rubra zone 5
- " " Waterlily zone 5 (Magnolia st. Royal Star is z
- Sundance zone 6
- Todd Gresham zone 7
- x veitchii Peter Veitch zone 7
- Vulcan zone 8 A Felix Jury hybrid, very RED.
- x weisneri (hypoleuca x sieboldii) zone 7
- Yellow Bird zone 6
- Yellow Fever zone 6
- doltsopa Silver Clouds zone 9
- figo zone 8
- x foggii Bubbles zone 8
- " " Mixed Up Miss zone 8
- " " Touch Of Pink not
outstanding -in our soil anyway
- yunnanensis Velvet and Cream